Aloha

I am so glad you can be a part of our Hawaiian adventure.
Enjoy! --Kristine

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Reviews for 2011

I've had a little more time to do some reading these days, and I figured I'd leave you my reviews in case you are hunting for a good book for spring. 

I bought all of these to read on the iPad so they are pretty new to the stores. I didn't have much time for hunting, thus I based my selections on Editor's Picks at Amazon. If I were trying to earn money with this blog, now would be the time to direct you towards the ad bar. But, I'm not. No perks from Kia, no check from iTunes.

Anyway, the first book is a murder mystery with some family drama thrown into the equation. Faithful Place is set in Ireland with an interesting main character who escaped the ghetto of Dublin to become an undercover officer, and returns to solve a case that rattled his old neighborhood. The book was not too long, not too heady, and had just enough action to keep me interested and still believing the story was plausible. I finished the last half in a day because I was curious to see how it all played out. 

After the murder story, I opted for a change of pace. My Korean Deli is a funny memoir of a magazine editor who opts to open a deli in Brooklyn with his wife and her parents (his Korean in-laws). The story is light and amusing. While I am not done yet, I'd definitely recommend this one for a mini escape. Especially if you've ever imagined opening your own store (quilts, knitting supplies, designer baked goods, oh my!). It paints the harsh reality of small business ownership with a funny brush.    













Lastly, I have to mention my unexpected favorite book of 2011, Born to Run.  My fav quote about this one is that you'll like it, "even if you hate books and you hate running." Very true, indeed.














Happy reading! Please send me your suggestions, too.  I'm clearly game for anything. 



No comments:

Post a Comment